I’m back with another weird WordPress fix for likely a problem encountered by many, whether you ever admit to it or not. 😜
At the request of a customer that’s been with us 10 years and counting now, I’m working to update and fix a few aged items relating to their website’s user experience.
Everything was going well until I attempted to upgrade the website to use a more lightweight and intuitive plugin to create a “before and after” slideshow of their project work. 🤨
To complicate things a bit, I unknowingly experimented with a few discontinued WordPress plugins no longer supported.
So wish WordPress developers would update their plugins more often with discontinued support messages. 😤 But I digress.
Each time I would install, activate, configure, and implement a image gallery or slideshow plugin for WordPress, I encountered the same error:
Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 404 (Not Found)
What could be the issue? 🤔 I initially thought the plugin was to blame. So, I proceeded to deactivate and delete each WordPress plugin in search and hope of a another plugin to use without error.
Slow learner I may be, but it wasn’t until the 4th or 5th WordPress plugin that my light bulb came on, especially witnessing the plugin working without error in a localhost environment operating on my MAC and on a few other customer websites.
But what could be the issue causing 404 status errors popping up when I know and can see with my own eyes that the file path exists? 🤔
First things first, check the spelling of the path. Well, fortunately I could spell well this day and all checked out well. 🤣
Next, permissions. When it doubt, the first place I should have looked with installation and configuration of the initial WordPress plugin was the permissions of the /wp-content/plugins folder.
Sure enough, that was the very culprit causing the 404 status error issue: WRONG FILE PERMISSIONS. 🤯
I don’t know how it happened, but the directory permissions for the “plugin” directory were incorrect. I changed the directory to both “755” (recommended) and “777”, and both worked like a charm. But I settled for using “755” permissions. 🙌👏
And now my customer is happy, and I am too, having solved yet another “Failed to load resource” error message.
I hope this helps you! Do feel free to drop a question or comment should you need further assistance.Fix WordPress Failed to load resource 404 status and error Click To Tweet